2013 Kawasaki VULCAN 1700 NOMAD
The traditionally styled Vulcan® 1700 Nomad™ fits right in with any classic bike, from one to eighty years old. However, just because it looks the part, doesn’t mean you have to settle for anything less than modern performance and reliability. For some it’s a full-blown touring bike, the large windshield, hard saddlebags, floorboards, backrest and standard cruise control help take the sting out of long days in the saddle. Strap a sleeping bag to the pillion, throw a leg over its low-slung seat and feel the Nomad’s powerful 1700cc V-twin effortlessly inhale the miles while you decompress and watch the world scrolling past. With its mix of the latest technology and luxurious two-tone paint adding to its classic style, it’s a one-two punch of thrill.
• Large optically correct windshield is height adjustable
• Lockable, color matched, top-opening hard saddlebags are capacious and easy to pack
• Deluxe passenger backrest with chrome bracket featuring ergonomic passenger grab handles for comfort
• Powerful 1,700cc V-twin
• Six-speed transmission for relaxed cruising
• Electronic cruise control maintains speed for more comfort on long trips and works with the electronic throttle valve system for precision
• Low 28.7-inch seat height enhances the comfortable riding position
• Adjustable handlebar-mounted and optically correct windscreen is shaped for optimum airflow management without compromising the Nomad’s cruiser styling
• Strong chrome-plated steel supports
• Two-position height
• Sub-windshield and deflectors further increase wind protection
• The sub-windshield covers the area between the windshield and headlight when the windshield is in the raised position, while fork-mounted deflectors help direct air away from the rider’s legs
Touring Seats and Passenger Backrest
• Sculpted rider and passenger seats offer all-day comfort and support
• Sturdy backrest with integrated passenger grab bars contributes to passenger confidence
• Passenger floorboards add extra comfort to the 2-up equation
Hard, Lockable Side Cases
• The Nomad features hard, lockable, top-opening side cases that each provide 10 gallons (38L) of sealed storage space for overnight touring
• Front and rear guards help protect the bike’s engine and hard side cases in the event of a tip-over
• Helmet locks are conveniently located on the left and right side saddlebag guards
Powerful 1,700cc V-twin engine
• Liquid-cooled, four valves per cylinder, fuel-injected 1,700cc 52-degree V-twin engine
• Long-stroke 102 x 104mm bore and stroke helps deliver high levels of torque with a distinct V-twin feel
• Valve system uses a single overhead cam arrangement instead of pushrods for quicker revving and enhanced mid-high rpm power
• Semi-dry sump design allows a lower crankshaft placement and a longer piston stroke without increasing engine height
• Single-pin crank accentuates the engine’s V-twin character by providing stronger power pulses
• Large-capacity airbox is located on both sides of the engine
• Small-diameter iridium sparkplugs reach deep into the combustion chamber for high combustion efficiency, especially during low-load operation
• Dual mufflers, one on each side of the bike, allow maximum clearance for luggage
• Engine tuning offers superior acceleration in the 50 to 70 mph range
• Even in overdrive, the engine pulls strongly in this speed range, facilitating overtaking at highway speeds
Digital Fuel Injection
• The touring-oriented Nomad utilizes DFI® and exhaust systems tuned to reach peak torque and horsepower at a higher rpm than the engines used in standard Vulcan 1700 cruisers
On Board Diagnostics
• Onboard diagnostic system allows self-testing of the electronic systems on the Vulcan 1700
• System displays codes on the instrumentation, which can be read by owner using accessory manual
Electronic Throttle Valve System
• Fully electronic throttle actuation system enables the ECU to control the volume of intake air (via throttle valve angle) and fuel (via fuel injector timing) delivered to the engine
• Optimized fuel injector timing and throttle valve position results in accurate, powerful engine response
• Control of both fuel injection and airflow provides easy starting and precise cold-engine idle speed control
• From the rider’s perspective, the ETV works like a standard cable-operated throttle; the throttle grip is still connected to cables, so the feel at the grip is the same
• Twisting the throttle turns a pulley on the throttle body, which triggers the Accelerator Position Sensor (APS) to send a signal to the ECU, which then modulates the throttle valves via a DC motor
• Accurate throttle position is relayed to the ECU by a Throttle Position Sensor (TPS)
• APS and TPS send two sets of signals to the ECU for system redundancy in the unlikely event of a sensor failure
• Cruise control can be engaged and adjusted entirely from the right handlebar
• Cruise control can be activated in 3rd gear or above at any speed between 30 mph and 85 mph
• Pressure on the brake lever, clutch lever or rear brake pedal will automatically disengage the cruise control, as will manually rolling off the throttle
Six-speed Transmission / Final Drive
• Six-speed transmission with positive neutral finder
• 5th and 6th are overdrive gears for excellent fuel economy when cruising at highway speeds
• 28mm carbon fiber final drive belt has a tensile strength that’s 40 percent greater compared to current Kevlar belts, allowing the Vulcan 1700 to use a slim belt only 2mm wider than the Kevlar unit on the Vulcan 900
• Belt drive system is quiet, efficient and offers reduced maintenance compared to a chain
Light Handling Chassis
• The frame features a short wheelbase for optimal ergonomics and easy maneuverability
• Lightweight and slim, the frame minimizes the number of forged parts and trims any unnecessary metal. The only forged parts are areas that require additional strength: the down-tube joint, engine brackets, side-stand bracket, and rear fender/shock absorber bracket
• This compact design contributes to light handling and facilitates low-speed handling, especially maneuvers such as parking or U-turns
43mm Telescopic Fork
• Provides superb steering feedback
• 5.5 inches of travel for excellent ride quality
• Optimized damping and spring settings for a plush but controlled ride
Dual Adjustable Rear Air Shocks
• Air-adjustable shocks can be tuned to match varying rider and passenger loads
• 4-way rebound damping adjustments help the shocks compensate for changes in spring pressure
• Chrome shock covers contribute to the bike’s overall luxurious finish
9-Spoke Cast Wheels
• Allow the use of tubeless tires, and nicely complement the Nomad’s styling
• 130/90 front and 170/70 rear tires
• Tire choice and suspension settings selected augment the chassis’ light handling characteristics
Classic V-twin Styling
• Basic engine architecture positively impacts the V-twin’s overall appearance
• The line created by the top of the airbox and the cylinder heads forms a curved shape that continues to flow through the bike
• Deeply chromed engine covers have curved upper surfaces; their three-dimensional form adds volume and gives a high-quality appearance
• Cooling fin edges have a special NC treatment that makes them gleam in sunlight
• All the engine’s non-chromed parts have a matte black finish to accentuate the chrome
• The fuel tank’s hand-sculpted contours employ constantly varying radii, giving the bike a dynamic flowing style which is pleasing both to the eye and to the touch
• Elegantly shaped fuel tank contributes to the Nomad’s curvaceous figure
• Front fender design continues through the rear fender, which features an elegant LED taillight
• Ignition switch allows on-position key removal, which prevents keys from scratching the instrument cluster or tank while the bike is in operation
• Turning the ignition switch to the “OFF” position turns the engine off and necessitates re-insertion of the key to restart
• Multi-function LCD displays on the tank-mounted instrument cluster are controlled by switches on the right handle. Features include a gear-position indicator, fuel gauge, clock, odometer, dual trip meters, remaining range and average fuel consumption
• Liberal use of chrome on the engine, fender brackets, light stays, saddlebag accents and front and rear guards contrasts nicely with the bodywork’s deep, lustrous paint
- Engine: Four-stroke, liquid-cooled, SOHC, four valve per cylinder, 52-degree V-twin
- Displacement: 1,700cc / 103.7ci
- Bore x Stroke: 102 x 104mm
- Compression ratio: 9.5:1
- Maximum Torque: 108 lb-ft @ 2,750rpm
- Cooling System: Liquid, plus cooling fins
- Fuel Injection: Digital fuel injection, dual 42mm throttle bodies
- Ignition: TCBI with Digital Advance
- Transmission: Six-speed with overdrive and positive neutral finder
- Final Drive: Belt
- Frame Type: Steel, double-cradle with box-section single-tube backbone
- Rake/Trail: 30° / 7.0 in.
- Front Suspension / wheel travel: 43mm hydraulic fork / 5.5 in.
- Rear Suspension / wheel travel: Swingarm with twin air-assisted shocks, with 4-way rebound damping / 3.1 in.
- Front Tire Size: 130/90x16
- Rear Tire Size: 170/70x16
- Brakes, front / rear: Dual 300 mm discs, dual twin-piston calipers / Single 300 mm disc, twin-piston caliper
- Overall length: 98.4 in.
- Overall width: 40.4 in.
- Overall height: 57.7 in.
- Ground Clearance: 5.5 in.
- Seat height: 28.7 in.
- Curb weight: 834 lbs.
- Fuel capacity: 5.3 gal.
- Wheelbase: 65.6 in.
- Color Choices: Two-tone: Candy Mystic Blue / Pearl Crystal White; Two-tone: Metallic Titanium / Metallic Spark Black
- Warranty: 24 months
- Good Times™ Protection Plan: 12, 24, 36 or 48 months
- Engine Type
- Four-stroke, SOHC, four valve per cylinder, 52 deg. V-twin
- 1,700 cc (103.7 ci)
- Bore and Stroke
- 102 x 104 mm
- Liquid, plus cooling fins
- Compression Ratio
- Fuel System
- Digital fuel injection, dual 42mm throttle bodies
- TCBI with Digital Advance
- Front Suspension
- 45mm hydraulic fork / 5.5 in. travel
- Rear Suspension
- Swingarm with twin air-assisted shocks, with 4-way rebound damping / 3.1 in. travel
- Front Brakes
- Dual 300mm discs, dual twin-piston calipers
- Rear Brakes
- Single 300mm disc, twin-piston caliper
- Front Tire
- Rear Tire
- 65.6 in.
- Seat Height
- 28.7 in.
- 30 deg.
- 7.0 in.
- Fuel Capacity
- 5.3 gal.
- Dry Weight
- Curb Weight: 834 lb.
- Six-speed with overdrive and positive neutral finder
- Final Drive
- Two-tone: Candy Mystic Blue / Pearl Crystal White, Two-tone: Metallic Titanium / Metallic Spark Black
- 24 months