2012 Harley-Davidson® XL883N - IRON 883
XL883N - IRON 883
- Blacked-Out Look: The Iron 883™ model is the anti-chrome motorcycle—decked in black from front to back with a defiant attitude that embraces the pure essence of riding. Black powder-coated 883cc engine with black rocker covers. Black chopped fenders that show off a lot of rubber. Black front forks with gators add an old-school look. Black oil tank cover, belt guard and drag bars. And black cast aluminum wheels that shoot Iron 883™ motorcycle into the modern rebel culture and keeps the rebellious fire burning with plenty of freedom for customization.
- Drag-Style Handlebar: The low-rise, slammed black drag-style handlebar and black finish hand controls add to the stripped down, minimal look of the Iron 883™ motorcycle. Born at the drag strip, the drag-style handlebar is an old school garage feature that puts you in a forward, aggressive riding position.
- Stop-Turn-Tail Lights: Old school looks meet new-school engineering. Black, retro-style bullet taillights combine functionality to work twice as hard—stop beams and running lights plus turn indicators in two low-profile rear lamps. This eliminates the need for extra lights, creating a clean, minimal look.
- Side-Mounted License Plate: True to the clean, fast lines of the bike, the side-mounted license plate leaves the rear fender surface smooth and uncluttered. Minimal and unique—every inch of the Iron 883™ motorcycle is styled to perfection to achieve a raw, custom look.
- Classic Peanut Fuel Tank: As one of the defining features of Harley-Davidson® Sportster® models for decades, the classic 3.3 gallon tapered peanut fuel tank still holds strong today with its traditional styling and modern attitude. Following the line of the bike from front to back, the peanut tank angles down just right into the solo Sportster seat. Attitude and looks all balled up into one.
- Premium Paint: Up to two times thicker than the competition, custom quality paint comes standard on all Harley-Davidson® motorcycles. Clearcoat layering up to five mils deep. Bigger metal flakes. Unique effects. Skimping simply is not in our vocabulary.
- Hand Finished Fuel Tank: All Harley-Davidson® fuel tanks are finished by hand—that's what makes them stand out from the competition. Their seamless design and unmatched style are unique among all motorcycles on the road. The tanks are one of the first and last things people notice when they lay their eyes on a Harley-Davidson® motorcycle—so we make it worth their time.
- Evolution® Engine Heritage: The Evolution® engine—known in certain crowds as the Blockhead—was first bolted to the frame of a Harley-Davidson® motorcycle back in 1984. Born from legendary Shovelhead and Ironhead engines, the Evolution® engine broke new ground in displacement innovation while maintaining the hunger for power, durability and proven reliability that The Motor Company was built on.
- Evolution® Engine Innovation: Air-cooled and durable as hell, the 883cc Evolution® engine is yet another nod to the unwavering work ethic that drives advancements in motor technology at Harley-Davidson. Aluminum heads and cylinders lighten the load of the bike and improve air-cooling efficiency. Electronic fuel injection says goodbye to carburetors and boasts increased reliability and less routine maintenance. Bottom line: the rubber-mounted Evolution® engine runs hard and rides smooth for thousands of miles so you can just worry about taking in the freedom of the open road.
- Pure Harley-Davidson Styling: Feast your eyes on the 883cc Evolution® engine and there's no mistaking its roots. This is authentic Harley-Davidson style through and through with an attention to detail you won't find from any other motorcycle company. Silver powder-coated cylinders and cylinder heads are topped off with polished rocker covers to complete the premium Harley-Davidson® look. Unmatched style and performance down to the very last detail. It's a jewel machined out of metal. Pure. Dripping with power. From the classic edge of the cooling fins to the clean lines of cases and covers—the 883cc Evolution® engine makes an ironclad statement to holding on to what's right and staying true to what satisfies the rider.
- Artfully Hidden Technology: Harley-Davidson® leverages the latest in technology without compromising style and function. That means we hide electronics. The whole wiring harness is skillfully routed behind the jewels of the bike—the tank, engine and all the other eye-popping features you want to see. It's just another way The Motor Company goes the extra mile to give its bikes that premium, top-of-the-line fit and finish.
- Intuitive Controls: Hand controls on a Harley-Davidson® motorcycle are incredibly intuitive. The turn signals are self-canceling and, based on the speed and angle of the motorcycle, they know how long to stay on. Engaging the controls quickly becomes second nature so you can focus less on turning off your signal and more on basking in the freedom of the ride.
- H-D® Smart Security System (Optional): The factory installed next-generation security system features a hands-free fob that automatically arms and disarms the vehicle electronic security functions as you approach and walk away from the bike. Stick the fob on your ignition key ring and let it do all the work. It's this attention to details and security that make Harley-Davidson® motorcycles unique.
- Low Seat & Slammed Suspension: The combination of a lowered front and rear suspension together with a low, narrow solo seat—just 25.7 inches high—provides comfort and confidence for riders of all sizes and experience. A responsive ride for whipping through town or busting out onto the interstate.
- Tuned to be Ridden: Harley-Davidson® motorcycles are different from any other bike out on the road. There's a balance to them. The steering, the maneuverability—it's all in concert. And each Harley-Davidson® model is tuned differently to create a unique riding experience for each individual no matter which bike they swing their leg over. Let's face it, we didn't get to where we are by being like everyone else.
- Michelin® Scorcher™ Tires: New Michelin® Scorcher™ Tires provide the superior performance, sensational grip, impressive durability and excellent handling expected on a race-bred bike. The exclusive deep-cut tread design improves grip and water evacuation capability. Grip performance and durability is also enhanced by the tire's rubber compounds, which use the latest generation of Michelin synthetic polymers. Under the rear rubber, aramid belts are used to stabilize your ride, which helps inspire confidence in handling.
- Mid-Mounted Controls: Let your boots fall where they may, naturally to the mid-mounted controls and rider foot pegs on the Iron 883™ model. An easy reach and tight rider triangle is confidence-inspiring for new riders eager to set off on their journey and riders whose legs run slightly shorter than others.
- Length: 85.8 in. (2,179 mm)
- Seat Height, Laden: 25.7 in. (653 mm)
- Seat Height, Unladen: 26.9 in. (683 mm)
- Ground Clearance: 3.9 in. (99 mm)
- Rake (steering head) (deg): 30.5
- Trail: 4.6 in. (117 mm)
- Wheelbase: 59.8 in. (1,519 mm)
- Tires, Front Specification: 100/90B19 57H
- Tires, Rear Specification: 150/80B16 77H
- Fuel Capacity: 3.3 gal. (12.5 L)
- Oil Capacity (w/filter): 2.8 qt. (2.6 L)
- Weight, As Shipped: 548 lb. (248.6 kg)
- Weight, In Running Order: 565 lb. (256.3 kg)
- Engine: Air-cooled, Evolution®
- Bore: 3 in. (76.2 mm)
- Stroke: 3.812 in. (96.8 mm)
- Displacement: 53.9 cu in (883 cc)
- Compression Ratio: 8.9:1
- Fuel System: Electronic Sequential Port Fuel Injection (ESPFI)
- Primary Drive: Chain, 57/34 ratio
- Gear Ratios (overall) 1st: 10.407
- Gear Ratios (overall) 2nd: 7.436
- Gear Ratios (overall) 3rd: 5.53
- Gear Ratios (overall) 4th: 4.583
- Gear Ratios (overall) 5th: 3.93
- Exhaust: Chrome, staggered shorty exhaust with dual mufflers
- Wheels, Front Type: Black, 13-Spoke Cast Aluminum
- Wheels, Rear Type: Black, 13-Spoke Cast Aluminum
- Brakes, Caliper Type: Dual-piston front, single-piston rear
- Engine Torque Testing Method: J1349
- Engine Torque: 55 ft-lb (75 Nm)
- Engine Torque (rpm): 3,500
- Lean Angle, Right (deg.): 29
- Lean Angle, Left (deg.): 30
- Fuel Economy Combined City/Hwy: 51 mpg (4.6 L/100km)
- Lights (as per country regulation), Indicator Lamps: High beam, neutral, low oil pressure, turn signals, engine diagnostics, low fuel warning, low battery, security system (optional)
- Gauges: Handlebar-mounted electronic speedometer with odometer, time-of-day clock, dual tripmeter, low fuel warning light, low oil pressure light, engine diagnostics readout, LED indicator lights
- Engine Type
- 53.9 cu in (883 cc)
- Bore and Stroke
- 3 in. (76.2 mm) x 3.812 in. (96.8 mm)
- Compression Ratio
- Fuel System
- Electronic Sequential Port Fuel Injection (ESPFI)
- Front Brakes
- Rear Brakes
- Front Tire
- 100/90B19 57H
- Rear Tire
- 150/80B16 77H
- 59.8 in. (1,519 mm)
- Seat Height
- Laden: 25.7 in. (653 mm); Unladen: 26.9 in. (683 mm)
- 30.5 deg.
- 4.6 in. (117 mm)
- Fuel Capacity
- 3.3 gal. (12.5 L)
- 51 mpg (4.6 L/100km)
- Dry Weight
- 536 lb. (234.1 kg)
- Final Drive
- Chain, 57/34 ratio
- Big Blue Pearl, Ember Red Sunglo, Black Denim
- 2 year unlimited mileage